Skill: Spelling rule regarding plural endings
When you change the form of a word to make it plural (more than one) follow this rule: Words ending with a consonant + y, change y to i and add es.
Ex: Look at the word “puppy”, it ends with consonant “p” + y, apply the spelling rule (change y to i and add es) = puppies
Read the words listed below.
If the word ends in a vowel + y, add s to the word.
Example: key keys
Dictation/Spelling Practice for Plurals (-y).Review the spelling rule regarding “y”.
Read these sentences.
- The ladies gave us jerseys for our game.
- We have two puppies and three cats.
- Did the babies play with the keys?
- Did you see the bunnies in the valley?
- The puppies chased the kittens.
- I lost my keys in the card shop.
- I gave a tray of kidneys to my cat.
- Do alley cats live in alleys?
- I wish there were no armies.
- The lady prays at dinner time.
- Wesley studies every night.